Colors and Shapes of eyes in Portuguese – Cor dos olhos
The eyes are one of the most important organs in the body. It is the most important connection to perception as we can understand what we can see. We see and we perceive, we see and we believe. Also one of the most common topics when it comes to talking to a lover is by describing how beautiful their eyes are. So it becomes very important that we learn as much as we can related to the eyes in Portuguese. Hence in this post, we will be learning about a comprehensive vocabulary lists in relation to the eyes in Portuguese with tons and tons of example sentences.
- How to say “eyes in Portuguese”?
- Pronunciation Guide
- Parts of the eyes in Portuguese
- Glasses and Spectacles in Portuguese
- Eye Diseases in Portuguese
- Learn eye colors in Portuguese
- Eye shapes in Portuguese
- Lover Talk related to the eyes in Portuguese
How to say Eyes in Portuguese?
- WORD: The Portuguese translation for “the eye” is “o olho”
- EXAMPLE SENTENCE: “The eye is an important organ” à O olho é um órgão importante
- WORD: The Portuguese word for “the eyes” is “os olhos”
- EXAMPLE SENTENCE: “A snake has two eyes.” à Uma cobra tem dois olhos.
- WORD: The Portuguese translation for “one eye” is “um olho”
- EXAMPLE SENTENCE: “The earthworm has one eye.” à A minhoca tem um olho.
What are the parts of the eyes in Portuguese?
Close your eyes… yes I know it’s ironic or even eyeronic!!! Quickly name the different parts of the eyes. You have the white bit, the circle bit, the smaller circle bit, an eyelid, eye lashes and the eye brow… Whew.. it’s a small list thankfully!!!
In the table below, you can learn how to say the names of all the parts of the Eye in Portuguese. This will help you expand your basic Portuguese A1 vocabulary list and will help you have to see the eye doctor. So let us learn about the parts of the eye in Portuguese.
|Eyes||Parts of the Eyes in Portuguese||Example sentence in English||Same sentences in Portuguese|
|The cornea||A córnea||The cornea is transparent in color.||A córnea é transparente na cor.|
|The sclera (white of the eye)||A esclera||The sclera must be white in color.||A esclera deve ser de cor branca.|
|The iris||A íris||I am blind and my iris is grey in color.||Eu sou cego e minha íris é cinza.|
|The pupil||Pupila||There is a small injury in the cornea and the pupil.||Há uma pequena lesão na córnea e na pupila.|
|The eyelashes||cílios / pestanas||Your eyelashes are beautiful.||Seus cílios são lindos.|
|The eyebrow / eyebrows||A sobrancelha / sobrancelhas||The man shaved his eyebrows.||O homem raspou as sobrancelhas.|
|The eyelid / eyelids||A pálpebra / pálpebras||The owl has three eyelids.||A coruja tem três pálpebras.|
Glasses or Spectacles in Portuguese
Half the people in the world wear glasses. Most of the people in the world would have worn sunglasses at some point in their lives. Is it thus not important to know about the different spectacles in Portuguese? In the table below, you can learn the names of all the vocabulary related to Glasses or Spectacles in Portuguese.
|Spectacles||Spectacles in Portuguese||Example sentence in English||Sentences in Portuguese|
|The glasses||Os óculos||My mother has four pairs of glasses.||Minha mãe tem quatro pares de óculos.|
|The reading glasses||Os óculos de leitura||Do you need reading glasses?||Você precisa de óculos de leitura?|
|The contact lenses||As lentes de contato||My daughter wears contact lenses.||Minha filha usa lentes de contato.|
|The eye patch||O tapa-olho||Pirates wear eye patches.||Piratas usam tapa-olhos.|
|The sunglasses||óculos escuros||He likes to wear sunglasses||Ele gosta de usar óculos escuros|
|The bifocal glasses||Os óculos bifocais||My grandfather wears bifocal glasses.||Meu avô usa óculos bifocais.|
|The monocle||O monóculo||Winston Churchill had a monocle.||Winston Churchill tinha um monóculo.|
Eye Diseases in Portuguese
Whenever you have to go to the eye doctor, you need to be careful. In France or in any Portuguese speaking country, the doctors might be able to explain the problem only in Portuguese. You should be able to know all the common eye diseases in Portuguese Let us know learn about the eye diseases in Portuguese.
|Eye Diseases||Portuguese words||Eye Diseases in English||Portuguese translation|
|Heterochromia||Heterocromia||Heterochromia is very rare.||A heterocromia é muito rara.|
|Conjunctivitis||Conjuntivite||I have conjunctivitis and so I must sleep.||Tenho conjuntivite e por isso preciso dormir.|
|Cataract||Catarata||The old man had cataracts and was almost blind.||O velho tinha catarata e era quase cego.|
|Nearsighted (myopia)||Miopia (miopia)||Are you nearsighted? Do you have myopia.||Você é míope? Você tem miopia.|
|Farsighted (hyperopia)||Hipermetropia (hipermetropia)||Do you have hyperopia?||Você tem hipermetropia?|
|Glaucoma||Glaucoma||Glaucoma is dangerous and can cause blindness.||O glaucoma é perigoso e pode causar cegueira.|
|Colour blind||Daltônico||Dogs are colour blind.||Os cães são daltônicos.|
Different eye colors in Portuguese
You are in France and on a date, a date with an amazing Portuguese dude / dudette. He (or she) sits opposite to you and you stare deeply into his eyes. The eyes are of a very beautiful colour. You wanna impress you date and so want to ask about the colour or of their eyes in Portuguese. How do you do it?
- ENGLISH SENTENCE: Translation for “What color are your eyes?” in Portuguese?
- PORTUGUESE SENTENCE: The translation “What color are your eyes?” in Portugueseà Qual a cor dos seus olhos?
Now how does your date respond?
- ENGLISH SENTENCE: Translation for “I have blue eyes.” in Portuguese?
- PORTUGUESE SENTENCE: The translation I have blue eyes in Portugueseà Eu tenho olhos azuis.
Similarly, let us learn about the different eye colours in Portuguese
|Eye Colors||Eye Colors in Portuguese||Example sentence for Eye Colors in English||The same sentences for Colors of the Eye in Portuguese|
|brown eyes||olhos castanhos||She has brown eyes.||Ela tem olhos castanhos.|
|grey eyes||olhos cinzentos||You have grey eyes.||Você tem olhos cinzentos.|
|black eyes||olhos pretos||The Asian man has black eyes||O homem asiático tem olhos pretos|
|green eyes||olhos verdes||Many Europeans have green eyes.||Muitos europeus têm olhos verdes.|
|amber eyes||olhos âmbar||My wife has amber eyes and they are gorgeous.||Minha esposa tem olhos âmbar e eles são lindos.|
|violet eyes||olhos violetas||Have you seen violet eyes?||Você já viu olhos violetas?|
|blue eyes||olhos azuis||The wolf has blue eyes||O lobo tem olhos azuis|
|White eyes||Olhos brancos||The blind man has white eyes||O cego tem olhos brancos|
|Light blue eyes||Olhos azuis claros||My son has light blue eyes.||Meu filho tem olhos azuis claros.|
Different shapes of the eyes in Portuguese
You know that different people have different eye shapes. Some people have round eyes while some people have slanted eyes. I like people who have almond shaped eyes while you may like people who have large eyes. Small eyes may indicate intelligence while cross eyes (through no fault of their own) are ridiculed. Let us learn about the different shapes of the eyes in Portuguese
|Eye Shapes||Eye Shapes in Portuguese||Example sentence in English||Sentences in Portuguese|
|slanted eyes||olhos puxados||Asians have slanted eyes.||Os asiáticos têm olhos puxados.|
|round eyes||Olhos redondos||The woman has round eyes.||A mulher tem olhos redondos.|
|almond shaped eyes||olhos amendoados||The supermodel has almond shaped eyes.||A supermodelo tem olhos amendoados.|
|large eyes||olhos grandes||Children have large eyes.||As crianças têm olhos grandes.|
|small eyes||olhos pequenos||Do you have small eyes?||Você tem olhos pequenos?|
|cross eyed||vesgo||I am cross eyed.||Eu sou vesga.|
Lover Talk in Portuguese related to the eyes…..
- The eyes are considered as a reflection of one’s beauty. You often compliment your partner on their beautiful eye. So you must know how to do this kind of lover talk in Portuguese as well
- One of the most common sentences one can say to their lover is that their eyes are very pretty. The Portuguese translation for “your eyes are pretty” is “Seus olhos são bonitos”
- Another very common sentence that I usually say to my wife is that her eyes are very beautiful. The Portuguese translation for “You have beautiful eyes” is “Você tem olhos bonitos”
- The Portuguese translation for “I love your eyes” is “eu amo seus olhos”
Questions and Answers
Let us have a small test. Try and answer as many questions as you can honestly!!!
- How to say brown eyes in Portuguese?
- How to say blue eyes in Portuguese?Olhos azuis
How do you say green eyes in Portuguese?
- How do you say Hazel eyes in Portuguese?
olhos cor de avelã
- How do you say grey blue eyes in Portuguese?
Olhos azuis acinzentados
- How do you say dark blue eyes in Portuguese?
Olhos azuis escuros
- How do you say Bluish green eyes in Portuguese?
Olhos verdes azulados
- How do you say grey eyes in Portuguese?
- How do you say black eyes in Portuguese?
|English Example Sentences||Translations|
|What colour are your eyes?||De que cor são seus olhos?|
|I have green eyes.||Eu tenho olhos verdes.|
|My eyes are black in color.||Meus olhos são de cor preta.|
|Do you wear glasses?||Você usa óculos?|
|I wear contact lenses.||Eu uso lentes de contato.|