The Frog and the Mouse – Aesop’s Fables
Aesop’s Fables has a large number of stories and some of them such as the Red riding hood, the honest woodcutter and many more are well known across the world. The story of the “The Frog and the Mouse” is also called as “A mouse, the frog and the hawk”. This story is the story of a evil frog who wanted to play a cruel prank on a mouse and ended up paying for the consequences.
A simple and young mouse was happily drinking water from a pond. A cunning frog was watching the mouse. He thought of a very evil plan.
The frog thought, “CROAK! CROAK! I have a very evil plan. How smart I am!”
The frog swam up to the mouse and spoke to him in a very sweet voice.
“CROAK! CROAK! How are you Mr. Mouse? Why are you outside in the sun on such a hit day when you can cool off in the pond?”
The mouse replied, “SQUEAK! SQUEAK! But I do not know how to swim, Mr. Frog. I would surely drown.”
The cunning frog replied, “I know how to swim very well. Why don’t I take you with me?”
The mouse was very happy and agreed. The frog tied a string to the mouse’s leg and then to his leg and then swam around the pond. The mouse was very happy.
Soon, he wanted to go out since he was tired. The evil frog had his own evil plan. He dived deep into the water. Deep, deep, deep he went and the mouse drowned.
The frog thought, “Ha Ha Ha. What a foolish mouse. How smart I am to have fooled him”
When he came back to the land to untie the string, a hawk saw the dead mouse. He dived down and in one swoop, caught the mouse and flew away. The frog was tied to the mouse and was carried away.
The frog shouted, “Help! Help! Someone untie me.”
The hawk saw the frog and said, “Oh wonderful! Meat and Fish for dinner! What a dumb frog you are?”
Saying so, he flew back to his nest. The frog learnt its lesson but it was too late.
What is the moral of the story?
The moral of the story “The Frog and the Mouse” is “Those who seek to harm others often come to harm themselves through their own deceit.”. The moral of the story is also well known as “You get what you deserve.”
Other stories which you can read
|The Dog and the Hides|
|The Cock, The Dog and the Fox|
|The Farmer and the Snake|
|The Farmer and the Stork|
|The Cat and the Birds|
Questions on “The Frog and the Mouse“
- Who are the main characters of the story?
- What did the evil frog scheme to do?
- What happened to the mouse and the frog in the end of the story?
- Explain is the moral of the story?
- What is the symbolism of the story
- The main character of the story is a evil cunning frog and a simple mouse.
- The frog wanted to drown the mouse by taking him into the water and letting him there.
- The evil frog had his own evil plan and he dived deep into the water. When he went deep, the mouse drowned. When the frog came back up, a hawk saw the dead mouse and dived down. In one swoop, caught the mouse and flew away. The frog was tied to the mouse and was carried away.
- The moral of the story “The Frog and the Mouse” is “Those who seek to harm others often come to harm themselves through their own deceit.”. The moral of the story is also well known as “You get what you deserve.”
- In this story, the frog did not think of the consequences when he decided to tie himself to the poor mouse. Similarly in life, the evil doer does deeds of cruelty to hurt others but does not understand or think about what would happen to them.
The Frog and the Mouse – PDF
Looking for the free downloadable PDF version of “The Frog and the Mouse” short story in English? If so, you’ve come to the right place. You can click on the link below to download the free story in PDF version format.