The Fox and the Crow – Aesop’s Fables
Aesop’s Fables has a large number of stories and some of them such as the Red riding hood, the honest woodcutter and many more are well known across the world. The story of the “The Fox and the Crow” also has other names and is called as “the crow who dropped its cheese” or “The crow which sings”. It is the story of a very cunning fox which wants to cheat a crow into dropping a piece of cheese which it has in its beak.
Story of the Fox and the Crow:
Once upon a time, there was a fox who lived in the woods. One day he was walking around the forest searching for something to eat when he saw a crow sitting on top of a tree. The crow was holding a very large piece of cheese in its mouth.
The fox thought, “Such a tasty piece of cheese. I must trick this crow and eat the cheese for my breakfast.”
He sat down under the crow and stared up. He looked as if he was admiring the crow.
“Oh wow. What a beautiful creature you are?”
The crow stared at him very suspiciously. No one had called her beautiful before. She did not open her mouth.
The fox continued, “How beautiful you look. You have such an even tone on all your feathers. How beautifully they shine. Such a beautiful bird must have a very lovely voice, since she seems to be perfect in beauty. Will she sing for me in her lovely voice? Maybe he voice will be so beautiful that i shall call her the queen of birds?”
The crow was flattered. She had never been praised so much before. She wanted to be called as the queen of birds. She spread her wings, opened her mouth and uttered her loudest caw
The cheese fell off her beak straight into the mouth of the Fox.
The fox ate the cheese and went on its way.
What is the moral of the story?
The moral of the story “The Fox and the Crow” is “The flatterer lives at the expense of those who will listen to him.”
Other stories which you can read
|The Dog and the Hides|
|The Cock, The Dog and the Fox|
|The Farmer and the Snake|
|The Farmer and the Stork|
|The Cat and the Birds|
Questions on “The Fox and the Crow“
- Who are the main characters of the story?
- What was the crow carrying in its beak?
- Why did the crow not sing the first time?
- What happens at the end of the story?
- Explain is the moral of the story?
- The main characters of the story are a Fox and a Crow
- The crow was carrying a piece of cheese in its beak.
- It did not sing the first time since it was suspicious of the fox’s intentions.
- The crow was flattered. She had never been praised so much before and wanted to be called as the queen of birds. The crow spread her wings, opened her mouth and uttered her loudest caw. The cheese fell off her beak straight into the mouth of the Fox. The fox ate the cheese and went on its way.
- The moral of the story “The Fox and the Crow” is “The flatterer lives at the expense of those who will listen to him.”
The Fox and the Crow – PDF
Looking for the free downloadable PDF version of “The Fox and the Crow” short story in English? If so, you’ve come to the right place. You can click on the link below to download the free story in PDF version format.