The Ass and his Master – Aesop’s Fables
Those who love Aesop’s Fables might know the story of the “The Ass and his Master“. It is is one of the not so well known stories from the very large collection of the stories from Aesop’s Fables. It is the story of an ass who tries to think that he is smarter than its master and had to pay the price.
Once upon a time, there was a farmer who was travelling with his donkey to the market. The market to was at the bottom in the valley and they had to travel all around the mountain to get there.
The Donkey said, “BRAAAAY! BRAAAAY! Dear Master, if we run down the cliff, we can reach the market much faster.”
The Master said, “Yes, but the cliff is steep and we will surely fall down. It is safer if we travel around the mountain.”
The Donkey decided, “Fine. I shall see you in the bottom of the mountain then”.
The donkey moved towards the edge of the cliff. The master pulled the donkey back by its tail many times but he would not listen. Finally, the master gave up.
The Master said, “Ok. It seems that you have to learn the hard way. Go the way you want and see the path it leads you on.”
The Donkey stepped off the cliff and fell down and broke its head.
Moral of the story:
The moral of the story is “Not all short routes lead to victory”. The long moral of the story is “They who will not listen to reason but stubbornly go their own way against the friendly advice of those who are wiser than they, are on the road to misfortune.”
Other stories which you can read
|The Dog and the Hides|
|The Cock, The Dog and the Fox|
|The Farmer and the Snake|
|The Farmer and the Stork|
|The Cat and the Birds|
Questions on “The Ass and his Master“
- Who are the main characters of the story?
- What did the ass want to do?
- What happens at the end of the story?
- What is the moral of the story?
- The main characters of the story are an Ass and his Master.
- The ass wanted to run down the face of the hill.
- The donkey ran down the hill and lost his balance. He fell down and broke his head
- The moral of the story is “Not all short routes lead to victory”. The long moral of the story is “They who will not listen to reason but stubbornly go their own way against the friendly advice of those who are wiser than they, are on the road to misfortune.”
The Ass and his Master – PDF
Looking for the free downloadable PDF version ? If so, you’ve come to the right place. You can click on the link below to download the free story in PDF version format.